Also known as V-Steam, V-spa, Yoni Steam, Womb Steam, whatever you want to call it, vaginal steaming is as old as the hills and is an ancient healing technique used to balance hormone levels and rejuvenate your vagina. By no means, is the V- Steam any kind of new fad, despite Gwyneth Paltrow recently bringing it back into trend. For centuries women all around the world have used this herbal/ floral spiritual healing system. In Central America it is known as Bajos, and has always been used by healers and midwives with great success. In Korea it’s known as Chai Yok and in Indonesia as Ratus and It’s pretty much like taking your Va-jay-jay to a day spa! If you want to cleanse, tone and beautify your intimate area leaving you with your juices flowing, please read on…
Firstly, it’s an uncomplicated procedure, fusing the natural powers of heat, steam, water and fresh or dried herbs. The two traditional herbs used in the steam mixture are mugwort and wormwood. However, there are many additional herbs that can be used:
Mugwort, Oregano, Basil
- stimulates blood flow in pelvic and uterus area
- stimulates energy and life force
- helps to reduce painful periods and abdominal discomfort
- stimulates menstruation
- Natural Antibiotic, Antifungal
- Ease fatigue
- Spiritual Cleansing
- Induce uterine contractions
- Helps to treat bladder infections
- relieves constipation, diarrhea, and jaundice
- Antibacterial and antiviral
Calendula, Chamomile, Lavender
- especially relaxing; calms the mind, body and soul
- Nourishes the nervous system
- cooling effect
- antiseptic; assisting healthy uterine function
Motherwort, Raspberry leaf, Rose Petals
- Toning, good for cramping
- Relaxing and uplifting
- Motherwort – helps with fibroids and polyps
- Rose petal – is known for its astringent use on tissues of the genitals
Medicinal Properties of the V-Steam:
- Stimulates the production of hormones to maintain uterine health
- Protects the uterus from ulcers and tumors
- Soothes while strengthening the nervous system
- Stimulates menstrual discharges and the production of milk
- Aids in restarting regular menstrual cycles
- Eases fatigue, headaches, abdominal discomfort and nausea
- Lessens the effects of renal calculi, rheumatism, arthritis, and gout
- Helps fight infections
- Kills intestinal worms
- Helps correct digestive disorders
- Warms the body
So What’s It Like To Steam Your Vagina?
After all the abuse we inflict upon our vadge in the form of Pap smears, Piercings, Brazilians, Vajazzling and G-strings, our vaginas could use some TLC. I personally look after my vagina, I avoid soaps, and body washes and lotions, fragrances and dyes packed with harmful chemical ingredients. I avoid synthetic tight-fitting underwear and clothing. I never miss an annual visit with my gynecologist and in summer I get regular bikini waxes instead of shaving, as ingrown hairs are nasty! In light of sharing how I care for my “down there” let me tell you about V- steam treatment. It is a wonderful and relaxing experience, it left me feeling uplifted and energized, and the good news is you don’t have to go to a spa to do a V-Steam….
DIY at home
- In a medium covered pot, pour 8 cups of water (clean spring or purified water).
- Choose your herbs and put one handful of fresh herb(s) or 1/4 cup dried into your water.
- Bring water to a slow boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat put the lid on and infuse for a further 5 minutes (keep lid on).
- Pour 4 cups (or half) of your infused water into the bowl you have placed in your toilet. (you can line your toilet bowl with plastic if you want, but this is not necessary)
- IMPORTANT – Wave your hand over the herbal steam water to make sure it is not too hot.
- Remove your underwear and sit on the seat above the herbal steam water.
- Arrange a large cover or sheet around your waist, ensuring it drapes down to the floor so no steam escapes.
- Keep yourself warm and as comfortable as possible, put some socks or slippers on your feet and a scarf or something around your neck. The idea is not to let your body get cold while you are trying to warm it.
- You should feel a warm, continued heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- When the steam has reduced tip the water into the toilet, then repeat for a second session. If it has cooled down too much reheat your herbal steam water, remembering to test temperature again before sitting over the steam.
Not only can a vaginal steam assist with menstruation problems and fertility issues it can also help to improve women’s reproductive health, especially after having babies, and help to keep our yonis looking and feeling younger and improve your sex life.
Gwyneth Paltrow and other celebrities have made V-Steams popular and the latest craze, but V-steams can offer healing to women of all ages – mothers, grandmothers, young girls and yes we even men can steam for digestive disorders, although it’s called an A-Steam for them for obvious reasons.
- It is very important to test the temperature of the steam before using. If it is too hot wait 15 seconds and test it again until it feels comfortably warm to steam with.
- Do not add or use “essential oils” they are too strong and may burn sensitive genital tissue.
- It can temporarily increase menstrual flow with more dark fluids or debris. Menses may start earlier than usual due to the cleansing effect.
- Dried or fresh herbs are suggested. Choose Organic if possible.
- *** Avoid V-Steams if you are pregnant, after ovulation (if attempts have been made to conceive,) if you are bleeding heavily, during the full flow of period, you have an acute infection, and/or you have vaginal sores or blisters.
Enjoy your V-Steam and don’t forget to check out our website www.sylk.com.au for our other great blogs and to stock up on your Sylk personal lubricant.
Liza – Naturopath